Galactagogue (Breast Milk Promoting) Cookies
Throughout history mothers from many cultures have utilised galactagogue foods to promote or increase the flow of breast milk. It is important to be eating a wholesome diet with enough calories to support milk supply, so having some healthy, delicious, milk promoting snacks on hand is always helpful.
These cookies are quick and simple to make, requiring only a few ingredients, which are understood to support the production of milk.
It is believed Ancient Egyptians used chickpeas to support the flow of breast milk. Chickpeas contain phytoestrogens, which may explain their galactagogue action. Chickpeas are a great baking alternative to flour as they have minimal flavour, are gluten free, are a vegetarian source of protein and contain high amounts of fibre, which helps sweep clean your digestive tract, regulate your bowel motions and help control your blood glucose levels.
Tahini is made from sesame seeds and another great source of phytoestrogens beneficial for breastfeeding mothers. Tahini is a rich source of calcium, iron and magnesium, which are essential minerals necessary for correct functioning of all body systems. Tahini is a vegetarian source of protein and contains B vitamins, fundamental for energy production, cognition and stable moods to name just a few.
Almonds are a great source of nutrition, rich in protein, calcium, vitamin E, vitamin B and minerals, all of which are passed through to your baby when feeding. Almonds are also believed to enhance breast milk supply and improve the flavour.
Coconut oil and other coconut products are considered galacatgogues and are believed to enhance the amount of medium chain fatty acids in the milk. MCFA may help the absorption of nutrients, improve digestive function, regulate blood sugar levels and protect the baby from pathogenic microorganisms.
Ceremony Caccao (https://ceremonycacao.com) powders are blended with organic super foods, each with an array of medicinal properties to support your health and wellbeing while breastfeeding.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 1 can of organic chickpeas drained and rinsed with filtered water
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 2 tbsp. of Classic Ceremony Cacao
- 1 tbsp. of unhulled tahini
- 1 tbsp. of virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp. of rice malt syrup or sweetener of your choice (honey, maple syrup, molasses)
- 1 tbsp. of shredded coconut
- Turn the oven on to 150 Degrees Celsius
- Line a tray with baking paper
- Add all ingredients except the shredded coconut into a food processor and blend until smooth
- Roll small balls of mixture between your hands and lay evenly spaced on the tray
- Sprinkle each cookie with shredded coconut
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden – they will stay quite soft even when golden brown